Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday Funday Foodstuffs: 3 Quick Healthy Meals

I meant to blog this on Wednesday since that is my "Blog about food day", but life happens, and this post is a Sunday night one instead. Deal with it.

In the past couple of weeks I have made some blog worthy meals (others not so much, pretty sure no one wants to hear about the toast with PB and banana I had for supper on Friday). Also, sorry for the blurry phone pics. My actual camera was accidentally left in Halifax back at Christmas because I was a little distracted the night before I left.

Round 1: Salmon with Arugula Pesto and Celeriac Mash

With the Fresh City Farm bag, I happened to have a surplus of celeriac (root of a celery, tastes like a mixture between celery and potatoes), and arugula..what to do, what to do? But then I had a great experience...Ever google some random ingredients and find the exact meal you can make? That happened to me, when I found this recipe on The Food Coma Blog. The only thing I was missing was the brussel sprouts so I just cooked up some Kale in the same pan that I cooked the salmon, surprisingly the fishy remnants actually gave the kale a great flavour. To be fancy I used a circle mold for the celeriac mash and added a few leaves of arugula. Best  (?) part was, Mike wasn't home for dinner that night, so the fancy meal was for no reason at all!

Round 2: Roasted Veggie Lettuce Wraps with Curry Sauce

Once again, I had a surplus of root veggies, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and wing this recipe: 

  1. Fill a baking sheet with Chopped Potatoes, Carrots, Turnip, Jerusalem Artichokes, Turnips, Squash, Garlic, Shallots (any root veggies you have on hand, beets would have been great in this)
  2. Splash some EVOO, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through. 
  3. Plate on boston lettuce with some rice. 
  4. Curry Dip: 2 tbsp of Plain greek yogurt, 2 tsp of Curry
  5. Mix and eat! 
It turned out pretty delicious, and the curry yogurt gave a nice refreshing twist on such a "winter" meal...and it was nice and colourful!

Round 3: Cabbage and Collard Stir Fry and Kale Chips

Once again my inspiration for this meal was the overflow of veggies I had in my fridge, what is a tasty way to use up vegetables: STIR FRY!

1. Pan fry onions and garlic until fragrant (aka a few minutes)
2. Add mushrooms, red cabbage and 1/2 cup of soup broth, cook until cabbage softens
3. Add zucchini and tofu, and 1/4 cup of soy sauce, let cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally
4. Add collard greens, cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Serve with hot sauce (if you DARE)

Meanwhile, to be random, make some Kale chips! 

Tear up Kale into bite size pieces and add some EVOO. After two nights of making the chips I have realized that I like my Kale naked..aka not too much oil. For a whole head of kale, I maybe use a tbsp or less. 
Mix with salt and pepper, and spice/flavor of your choice. (I used this as my excuse to try some Nutritional Yeast that I bought a while back. I had heard about how tasty it was from the blogosphere but didn't believe it. Sure enough I added about a 1 tbsp to the Kale chips and they tasted cheesy, bready and delicious.)
Cook for 20 mins at 375, flipping once, and watching carefully that they don't burn!

There you have it, 3 quick healthy meals with lots of veggies! 

Anyone have their favorite go-to healthy meals? Anyone else way too late to the Nutritional Yeast party?






No comments:

Post a Comment