Thursday, July 21, 2011

Exploring the New City and Getting Hit by a Bird

The past two weeks I have been flying solo in the big city. Mike went home to Halifax to surprise his family, and I was left with Moseby and a new apartment/city. Mike got back on Monday, and I got to tell him all about my exploring.

Adventure #1
Two weekends ago (wow time flies) I went to the St. Lawerence Market. I had a photo shoot along the way!
Here is my back yard...
oooo statue
Super cool statue thinger, made of steel beams..how appropriate for a civil engineer (in training) such as myself.

Here is my neighbour...
Oh Hai!
I totally meant to take pictures at the market, but I forgot. It is similar to Halifax's seaport Market on the north side, but way more crazy on the south side. Asparagus were 50 cents for a bunch so I bought a whole lot and then ate them all week.

Adventure #2
My Dad was in town for work two weeks ago, and we went out to dinner with my Aunt who lives downtown (we are almost neighbours..well kind of). And we ended up going to this restaurant, Madeline's, that is run by Susur Lee (a famous chef, he is a judge on top chef sometimes). The food was served family style so we all ordered stuff and shared it around. It was sooo good. I can't remember exactly what we ate, but the wait staff came over and presented our food and listed off a ton of stuff that was in each dish! It is a little bit pricey for a normal night out, but I would definitely go back for a special occasion!

Another food for thought..I went to the Irish Pub Fynn's of Temple Bar with some friends a few weeks back and it was really good too! It had traditional pub food, but it also had stuff like a quinoa and grilled chicken salad. I got the turkey BLT and it was delish and for a good price!

Adventure #3
Last Thursday I went for a crazy long walk/run (as mentioned here) and explored the Toronto waterfront. It was a gorgeous day out (think 25 degrees, breezy, sunny) and it was just so nice to go look at water. There is a paved path that goes forever along the waterfront, so it inspired me to buy roller blades so Mike and I can go roller blading when the weather is slightly cooler than this week!

Adventure #4
Last Friday I had the day off and I had to drive around and get my license and registration and my health card and all that fun stuff. I took the street car up to one Service ON place only to find out I was at the wrong one, and I needed a safety inspection done. So I brought my car to get an inspection (even though the NS one was just done!!!) and then had to make it across a few blocks to get to the Service ON place before it closed. Downtown...in rush hour...Most. Stressful. Driving. Ever. But I made it! I was quite impressed with my driving skillz!

Adventure #5
Just this past Sunday I went to yoga, and on my way there I was walking on the path near my apartment and suddenly I felt something hit my head. I turned around and there was a BIRD swooping in to hit me in the head again!! I was a little thrown off by this. I figured it was either me walking too close to a nest, or perhaps my bobby pins were reflecting the light. Anyway when I was coming back from yoga I saw the same bird (Smaller than a pigeon, bigger than a sparrow, maybe a female blue jay) and kept my eye on it just in case...and sure enough it tried to attack me again. And on Monday I saw the same bird hit a guy walking on that path in the head too. Crazy city birds.

Those have been some of my adventures so far! Hopefully this oppressive heat (to quote cbc.ca) will let up and I can continue exploring :).

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Fynn's. I have never actually been for dinner, but it is amazing on St. Patty's Day and to go for drinks on a Friday night!

    ReplyDelete